The primary aim of this book is to provide help for technical university students seeking to enlarge their vocabulary in the subject matter of general chemistry, both chemical engineering and
technology. The book can be used in the classroom: teachers may start with whatever chapter they wish, if they choose not to follow the author’s organization. The directions have been kept simple, so that, after motivation in class, students may proceed on their own and use the materials as a selfstudy book. Both the Glossary (with translation and pronunciation of key vocabulary items) and the Answer Key are provided at the back of the book for ease of reference and check.
The book consists of fifteen units, each based on a different topic, with all the exercises and activities related to the topic. Reading materials within each topic illustrate the technical vocabulary of main specializations that chemistry students choose at their universities. Each unit consists of:
- pre-reading activities introducing a given subject through short texts and exercises,
- reading section containing a main text and supporting comprehension tasks,
- vocabulary practice aiming at reinforcing and extending students’ technical vocabulary bank
through abundant illustrative sentences and varied exercises.
In each chapter there are tasks designed exclusively for pairs or small groups of students to stimulate interaction and enhance the exchange of information (Communicative Activities).
All the exercises can be used selectively, depending on the needs and linguistic skills of a particular student/group. The level of each teaching material, whether intermediate (I) or upper-
intermediate (U), has been suggested in the table of contents next to each unit.
- Morning star (Interm)
- Colours of the rainbow (Inter)
- Let it grow! (Upper)
- Separation is not so bad (Upper)
- To beer or no to beer..? (Inter)
- Crystal clear (Inter)
- A nice combination (Inter)
- Do not burn on disposal! (Upper)
- Fresh and hygienic when sealed (Upper)
- Dig deep (Inter)
- Easy does it! (Inter)
- A green option (Upper)
- Keep out of reach of children! (Upper)
- Natural beauty? (Inter)
- What a small world! (Upper)
- Communicative Activities
I Chemical elements. Standard periodic table
II The Greek alphabet
III Numerical prefixes of Greek orgin
IV numerical prefixes of Latin origin
V Names of chemical compounds
VI How to read names of chemical compounds and reaction equations